Wednesday 2 November 2011

Five simple words to ruin your day......

Three chemo sessions down- three to go.
Just when you think you have things sussed....I know not to eat for about twelve hours before my chemo, I know that anti sickness drugs dont work for me for the first 24 hours after my treatment. I know what songs are the best ones to hum in my head when they are pushing the drugs through the syringe. I know how many bucket bags to get ready for the puking sessions, I know what type of food to have pre-prepared in the fridge for the day after. I know how often to space out my steriods and anti sickness medicine, I know when my body is telling me its time to go for a snooze. I know all these things after three sessions and now just to mess with your head, they are going to change the drugs.

Docetaxol.

I'm almost more nervous than when I started with my first round of chemo. I'm terrified that its going to be worse, this Docetaxol. And I don't know if I can take any more 'worse'. Annoying thing is that it doesn't appear like I have a choice.

Anyway, just to keep things exciting, they did get worse even before I sat into the chair for chemo number four.

My traitorous expander decided that it wanted out, it chickened out of Docetaxol and decided that it wasn't having any of it. Antibiotics -round two- didn't seem to make any difference to the enormous swelling and redness, so a trip to the consultant seemed in order.

For my troubles I got lanced, literally and syringed in the boob! Though I have to say, my surgeon is entertaining.

She is a bit of an enigma. At the very first day I thought 'How Rude!', now I know that she is not the 'huggy type', nor is she the 'hold your hand tightly while you cry a little' type. Nor am I, so I get her.
She is the 'no nonsense, we have a job to do, let's kick cancer's butt' type or the 'don't be asking stupid questions about your hair falling out as this is the least of your worries....as you have cancer!' type. I think she rocks.

So thursday morning, I roll into clinic with a honker of a boob and a sinking feeling in my tummy. I know as soon as I show her, she will say five simple, terrifying words, 'IT HAS TO COME OUT!'. ARghhhhhhhhhh - if a person can use up all their shit luck in one go, then surely over the last six months that is me!

Anyway, I flash her a glimpse of traitor boob and of course she makes a distinctly negative kind of sucking noise with her teeth and utters words, not the words I would have expected. 'We will just take a look'....

You know when you sit in the dentist's chair and he is looming over you with a needle and smiling menacingly behind a soft baby blue mask, and he says these stupid words 'the injects is the worst bit, everything else is plain sailing'. The injection stings and you relax a bit but  then, as he digs around in your mouth a few minutes later, ripping out old fillings or scraping out cavities and you, in your prone state are silently cursing him for the dirty rotten liar he is- because everything after the injection was downhill and only got worse!

So, my surgeon wants to take a look...is that good?...is that bad? will the expander stay? She barks at the nurse who is timidly standing by the door, her eyes darting left, right and centre, a shadow of petrification hanging over her. If she could, I know she would run from the room.

'Get a tray set up for me'. (order number one)
She legs it out of the room and comes crashing back in a moment later, implements rattling, packages of gauze and dressing rolling around the top of the trolley.
My surgeon comes back and curses, actually uses a bad word...I am stunned!
'Get half this shit off the trolley and set it up properly!'

Oh dear, I think my failed expander is causing my surgeon to have a bad day, as if its rejection is a personal affrontation to her skill. I understand, I take it a a personal affrontation to my body, the expander's weak will and wish to abandon me.

Baby nurse is replaced by older, wiser and more thick skinned substitute. Surgeon is mumbling what I imagine are profanities under her breath.  I am lying there on the bed trying so hard not to laugh...my consultant cursing, the nurses scurrying.

Two minutes later, laughing is the last thing on my mind.

She comes in and says, 'Im going to inject you, its the worst bit and everything else after is ok', ha ha ha...oh ya, learn that from the dentist did you, I don't believe you, this bit is going to be easy.
Two lidocain injections later and I find I'm the one who is using all the bad language, a fine flowing string of bad words tumble from my lips. But its ok cause I know she doesnt mind, its my way of not crying and I think she gets that.

A little digging around and the prognosis is the same, its going to have to come out. Those five words. Damnation!

So when is surgery...next week, next monday perhaps, I'd like to go see my parents at the weekend, so perhaps we could schedule in something for Monday or Tuesday...ha ha ha...fat chance!

Emergency surgery list this evening! Panic - operation today. I need to pack, I don't have any clothes with me, I'm supposed to be meeting friends later, my boyfriend is in Austria with work, I don't have anyone to bring me to the hospital, my house mate is not home, what am I going to do, arghhhhhhhhhhhh panic!

I go quickly home to pack a bag and come back to the hospital, I am distraught all the way home. Three whole months of pain and discomfort, saline expansion sessions, painful bra wearing, redness, antibiotics, no sleeping on my tummy and what...all for nothing. STUPID EXPANDER. Im back to square one, almost minus square one.

I go home and pack a bag alone, I organise my things and make my way back to hospital alone, I sit on the emergency bed and wait, alone. And I go to surgery at half eight at night but Im not alone. My surgeon is there and I know she will look after me, I know that she has been working since early morning and has seen and helped many people that day, I know that she has probably missed dinner in trying to organise a slot for me in the emergency surgery list and I know that she is on my side and will do her very best to look after me.

I know that if any one says anything bad about her, they had better answer to me.

The next couple of days after the surgery I wonder, how does she do it? how does she manage to get such a big object out such a small opening, my new scar along the base of my one time breast, a perfect two inch line, delicate and discrete, as if nothing had ever happened.

1 comment:

  1. I've just found your blog, thanks to Narrative Nipple, so catching up with everything.

    Your writing is wonderful - insightful, honest and a combination of heart wrenching with humourous. I had to smile at your "nettle knickers" description - I likened it to an army of biting red ants! Similar effect, the Thai nurses used to giggle at my reaction!!

    I'm thinking of you and wishing you well - it's a real slog.

    Take care, I'll be visiting regularly and send you warm hugs.

    Philippa (aka Feisty Blue Gecko - Scottish woman based in Asia!)
    xox

    ReplyDelete